Monday, December 11, 2023

Oceans tell more tales


And like gravity, she brought me - her. 

I name my years. As odd as that may sound, the sturdy creak before ever step tells me what they next step will be. I hear the creak of the new year before it dawns; in December. Since 2016 I have felt so. 2016 was the year of change, 2017 the year of exposure. 2018 was the year of evolution, 2019; year of war, 2020; year of mystery, 2021; year of - err I forgot that one. But 2022 was the year of gravity. 

It was in Matara, on a solo-trip to rediscover myself. I had gone to "Paravi Dupatha" early in the morning. I sat there breathing with the ocean. From the crevices on the rocks near shore, to the small balcony that I was seated cross-legged in I breathed in every detail and exhaled with a glance at the horizon leading to the far south of the Indian Ocean. 

The silent roar of the ocean slowly matched my pace. With every wave that wiped upto shore; loud or silent - there was a space in me to let it in. I took a breath with every time the sea came inwards. With every breath I could feel the ocean inside me, just as much as the ocean was bound by me. But something in my mind wondered - why does the ocean breathe? Why does it keep breathing? Loud and sometimes silent. The deep sea blue waves glisten in the night sky as they whisper to us. But why? 

It hit me then. Gravity. The waves move because they are made to. Because mother earth controls it so - gravity lets the ocean breathe. Gravity helps the ocean whisper into the hearts of men the beauty of life that awaits. Secrets about the future and hidden gems of the past, are some of the few things that the ocean speaks to us; all because it knows how to gravitate things to itself. 

That was when I named it - the year of gravity. In December 2021, I named 2022 as the year of gravity. And everything that I had wished for in life came true that year. The most kind girlfriend, a State-Award - the highest honour in the nation, my dream job, travelled abroad for the first time - and so much more. Everything that I had ever wanted; gravitated towards me. 

But then came 2023. A different year. A year I named revival; a name I could not come up with for the first time in my life until January 2023. This year I went through a lot. 

But just two days ago I was back in the southern coasts; looking at the ocean and I realized something new as I once again synced my breathing with her. With every deep drawback of the water, comes a tide bigger than anyone could ever imagine. And my waves crashed ashore making noise in 2022. 2023 however the waves receded. They've gone back. They have pulled back because this year was a year of revival. The revival of a boy who dreamt of a dream larger than life. The boy who became a man in pursuit of love and support. The boy who had dreams was revived. And the ocean kept seeping away; because the time to shine is not yet here. Until then the ocean prepares. It takes slow breaths and makes us all remember why the ocean is one of the strongest forces of nature in the planet. And like gravity I am once again revealed of my next year through the waves and tides. And like gravity, she brought me to her. 

- Circa 12.12.2023 

No comments:

Post a Comment